Eglin & Duke Field
Contact number is: (850) 882-4533, on-base housing is (850)-613-5050 and unaccompanied housing is (850) 882-5153. Eglin and Hurlburt housing is privately owned and operated by Corvias, LLC. Eglin has 2,359 military family housing units, with several units are currently being renovated. There is a waiting list for all base family housing categories. One dormitory is also being renovated.
Hurlburt & 7th Special Forces Group
Hurlburt Housing can be reached at (850) 884-7505, privatized housing (850) 344-0220, and unaccompanied housing (850) 884-3188. With 7th Special Forces, you find out during in-processing. Hurlburt Field has 380 family housing units located on the main base, and across Hwy. 98. The family housing wait time varies according to category of assignment. Single and married (but unaccompanied) first-term Airmen must check in at the Central Dormitory Management Office or Hurlburt Housing Office. In order to live off base, your rank must be at least SrA with over 3 years time in service.
Renting off base in the civilian market can be convenient, close to work, with no worries about receiving short-notice orders. This option is not free and may not be the best use of your BAH. Check the 2018 BAH rates for Florida to see if this option fits your budget. Renting from a civilian entity is essentially using your BAH to pay for the owner's property, paying them to update and maintain their home. As already mentioned, renting may put restrictions on your pet(s), or not permit it at all. If renting off base is what is best for you and your family, Eglin's housing website has the availability of rental property.
Often times, monthly mortgage payments are lower than local rent costs. To get an idea of how much you would be paying for a mortgage payment, the following mortgage calculator may be helpful. It is important that you have a Realtor® you can truly depend on. I have you covered. I have the personal experience and offer professional real estate service. I understand the critical need to be available day and night during the PCS process. Call me today at 850.830.9894 for a free military consultation and to discuss using your VA benefits to purchase a home and answer any questions you have about this process. I’d love to help!
I recommend that as soon as you get your orders, begin looking for housing. There are several websites that offer property searches and advice, however, many of these sites tend to be slow to date available property. My website has the most current listings as it is connected directly with the MLS service. I have access to property that may have not hit the market yet, so feel free to contact me. I recommend setting up an automatic email alert available on my site, that way you don't miss homes that most fit your needs and wants.
I will assist you in planning your house search by utilizing current technology to view potential property and record it and upload it to a private link on YouTube or view property, transmitting it live through Skype or other video chat services. I will assist you in quickly narrowing your property search for your perfect home. Sometimes it is impossible to travel here before your move, don't worry about that, I have you covered! By use of electronic documents and e-signing, when the time is right, you can present an offer and sign all required real estate documents remotely from your current location.
Purchasing a home has long been referred to as “The American Dream.” You are free to choose your location, the style of home, school district, commute times, etc., and you can use your BAH to pay your own mortgage and invest in your future. ( 2018 BAH rates for Florida). Your VA benefit allows you to purchase with $0 down and no monthly mortgage insurance. The freedom of purchasing include such things as choosing wall colors, flooring choices and other designs that make your home truly your own. Many times, the rental market is restrictive in regard to permitting pets. Pets are part of our family, therefore buying is the option to keep your family together.
In Okaloosa County, we have Homestead Exemptions that provides a property tax exemption up to $50,000. In order to get this exemption you need to qualify as a permanent resident before January 1st of the year that you are applying for the exemption. All applications and documentation must be completed by the deadline of March 1st. The Homestead Exemptions availableto you may provide you with multiple options to take into consideration. The most common exemptions available to service members and their restrictions are:
- You can only claim a Homestead Exemption on one property, anywhere nationwide. Therefore, if you own another home and receive any property exemption or discount on that property, you do not qualify to use that exemption here.
- Married couples can file as a Separate Family Unit. For details regarding eligibility and restrictions, you will need to call the Okaloosa County Property Appraiser office directly.
- I have represented several military couples where one spouse is active duty and the other spouse is a disabled veteran. If this is the case with your family, you are eligible for a $5,000 tax exemption. This scenario does not require the permanent resident requirement as the other exemptions.
- Likewise, if the disabled veteran has been determined by the VA to have a total and permanent disability, you are qualified for a 100% property tax exemption. This exemption does require the veteran to be a permanent resident. A surviving spouse is also eligible for this exemption, as well as surviving spouses of a "fallen hero," an active duty service member or first responder that was killed in action.
- A Deployed Exemption is available to active duty members who are currently receiving a Homestead Exemption and are deployed outside of the United States for approved operations.
- The Military Personnel with Homestead Exemption is available for service members, currently receiving Homestead Exemption, who have received PCS orders outside of Okaloosa County to continue to qualify for the exemption if they elect to rent their property. This exemption must be renewed yearly while away from Okaloosa County.
The Homestead Exemption Checklist will provide a more comprehensive list of exemptions available and provide you with all of the required documentation and instructions for applying for qualified exemptions.
PCSing TO ANOTHER LOCATION
At some point, you may receive PCS orders to another location. If or when this occurs you have a few options to consider and decide based on the most suitable for your situation. I will be more than happy to advise you and offer my services at such time. The possible options:
- You could rent your home. This method will allow you to retain ownership of your home, while someone else pays for your mortgage. In addition, if you have utilized the Homestead Exemption, you will be eligible to use the Military Personnel with Homestead Exemption explained above. If you decide this is your best option, I will connect you with a highly recommended property management specialist to handle the renting management of your home in your absence.
- You can opt to sell your property. If I was your Realtor when you purchased your home when you arrived here, I advised you of your property's estimated resale value. Considering the housing market is driven by the local market conditions, I will evaluate the current local market and provide you with a detailed Current Market Analysis (CMA), and advise the optimum pricing strategy that will bring you the most money in the quickest time possible. If you determine that it makes financial sense that is best for you and your family to sell your property, I will promptly advise the best strategy to prepare your home for listing. I will market it to get it sold and quickly, relieving you as much as possible from the stress associated with your relocation.
- Regardless of your decision, I will assist you with your research into your new location. I have a vast network of military-knowledgeable Realtors across the world that I will recommend based on the best fit with you and your family. The Realtor I recommend to set you up in your new location, with corporation from me will do as much as possible to alleviate the stress of PCSing, as much as possible.
It is my goal to provide the best service available and to go above and beyond expectations because I genuinely care about the relationships developed with my clients. Real estate isn't just my job, I try to make a difference in people's lives and I love what I do. You can reach me via text, calling or email, 850.830.9894, JonathanJeswald@jjemeraldcoast.com.